Thursday, August 26, 2010

Blacked Out in London

I was invited to join a group of artists from different parts of the country to exhibit in a show in London. ARCH 897 an old railway arch at London Bridge. As I like exhibiting in unusual places I accepted and went to London for a visit. The gallery was to be a dark space, only the work was to be lit, the space I was allocated was a separate arch which meant the work had to be a fair size to make any impact. I was intrigued by the noise of trains rumbling above, and felt what ever I made should evoke movement, trains, and colour. So here it is ‘Time Wheels’.

Jackie and Maureen suffered a very soggy day in London to visit the show and took this video for me The materials I used for the revolving piece, which relied on the viewer pressing a button to start was a soil pipe cut, heated and bent so as the Perspex discs could be bolted to the pipe. A car head light was fitted underneath to light up the whole thing. The mechanism for the movement was very much a Heath Robinson affair and intentional. The second piece, I used a large plastic tube with disco lights fitted which shone onto a mixture of found objects , the shadows then projected onto the wall, which gave an interesting effect as the colours changed. The preview evening was a great success, with around 150 people attending. For more information about other artists in the show www.blackedoutexhibition.co.uk. Avril Elward

No comments:

Post a Comment