Friday, June 11, 2010

Stuart Paints and Meets Sir Geoff Hurst

Portrait held by John Chaplin chairman of Jaguar Social Club

Jaguar Social Club contacted me and asked if I would donate a painting for an auction for the NSPCC, when they told me former England striker Sir Geoff Hurst MBE was the after dinner speaker I offered to paint his portrait. He requested samples of my work which he OK’d; I sent a pencil sketch and received the green light to go ahead with the finished portrait.

An A4 copy of the portrait which Geoff kindly signed for me

More than 260 guests attended the black tie event at Browns Lane, Allesley which raised £4,250 for the NSPCC including £250 going to SPARKS a children's charity of which Sir Geoff is chairman. My portrait of Sir Geoff was sold for £650. It was great meeting the man last Friday (June 4th ) at the auction was and when he saw the size of my hands asked if I had considered a career in goalkeeping. Always thought I could have done something useful with my hands. Stuart Spencer

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic story - makes me want to acknowledge thanks to Frances Townley who, in March, was kind enough to donate 3 watercolour prints for The Ball for Haiti Appeal which raised money for the victims of the disaster there.

    ReplyDelete